The Hazard Reduction & Recovery Center is proud to be a founding partner and BAF Satellite institution for the national William Averette Anderson Fund (BAF). The BAF’s mission is to “empower the diverse next generation of professionals, academics, and researchers as leaders who are well-equipped to facilitate meaningful social change on complex issues of inequity” in hazard and disaster fields. The BAF accomplishes this mission through mentoring and professional and educational workshops for graduate students across all disciplines.
As a BAF Satellite, the HRRC hosts workshops with professional and educational development activities for all current fellows and TAMU students interested in the hazard and disaster field. We offer several days of interactive activities from panels to individual feedback with support from the Department of Landscape Architecture & Urban Planning, the School of Architecture, the Office of Graduate Studies, and the Division of Research.
Our faculty and students were founding board members and student fellows at the inception of BAF. The HRRC supports the largest number of BAF fellows of any university in the country. We want to encourage YOU to get involved! Graduate students in terminal degree programs can apply to be a fellow. Faculty can apply to be a mentor to fellows or contact the HRRC to volunteer during the workshop. To learn more, visit their website.
TAMU BAF alumni include:
- Dr. Marccus Hendricks, faculty at University of Maryland
- Dr. Fayola Jacobs, faculty at University of Minnesota
- Dr. Kayode Atoba, researcher at Texas A&M University-Galveston
- Dr. Benika Dixon, faculty at Texas A&M University
Current TAMU BAF fellows include:
Mason Alexander-Hawk, Urban and Regional Sciences
- Jennifer Blanks, Urban and Regional Sciences
- Natalie Coleman, Civil Engineering
- Ruby Hernandez, Environmental Health
- Jacquita N. Johnson, Public Health
- Judanne Lennox-Morrison, Urban and Regional Sciences
- Tykeara Mims, Epidemiology
- Joy Semien, Urban and Regional Sciences
- Chandler Wilkins, Urban and Regional Sciences
2023 In-person Program in collaboration with TAMU Galveston
Meet and Greet BAF
*2021 E-Workshop Program
* This link is no longer active and has been removed.
History of the BAF presentation from director Monica Sanders.
2019 In-person Program in collaboration with Prairie View A&M University