Semester study abroad in Germany
Our faculty-led semester study abroad program allows visualization and urban planning students to experience the life, culture and industry of Germany. The program is offered during the fall semester for planning students and the spring semester for visualization students.
Hosted at the Academy of International Education in Bonn, the program offers courses in architecture, planning and building construction. You’ll engage German art and history in your studies while exploring the culture of north and central Europe.
More details are available in the Education Abroad Portal.
About the Program
Our program addresses multidisciplinary design principles in one of the most architecturally innovative cities in the world. We offer undergraduate and graduate courses that address German culture, art, history and civilization.
Although based in Bonn, you’ll have the opportunity to visit historic sites and contemporary architecture in nearby regions, including Holland and Belgium.
Areas of Emphasis
- International contracting and collaboration
- Architecture, planning and construction principles
- Cultural immersion
All students are required to take a total of 12-credit hours during the study abroad semester. Students should meet with their academic advisors to ensure they meet eligibility requirements and that the courses are degree applicable.
- CARC 301 — Field Studies in Design Innovation | 6 credits, Section I
- CARC 301 — Field Studies in Design Innovation | 6 credits, Section II
- CARC 311 — Field Studies in Design Communication | 3 credits
- CARC 331 — Field Studies in Design Philosophy | 3 credits
- CARC 485 — Directed Studies | 1–6 credits, by permission
- CARC 604 — Advanced Field Studies in Design Innovation | 6 credits, graduate students only
- CARC 685 – Directed Studies | 1–6 credits, graduate students only
View the Texas A&M course catalogue for information about each course.
FAQ about Semester Study Abroad
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Open to visualization, planning, architecture, construction science and university studies majors
- 2.5 cumulative GPA at time of application and until program start
- Good standing with Texas A&M University
- Must attend all program meetings
- Professor approval
How do I enroll in a study abroad semester?
Start your study abroad journey in the education abroad portal.
Does this satisfy the College of Architecture’s semester away requirement?
How long is the program?
The study abroad program in Germany spans a semester.
Will this delay my degree plan?
No. The program allows you to complete the same coursework offered at the Texas A&M campus. Many of our students actually graduate a semester early by taking advantage of the study abroad program.
How much does it cost?
Learn about the trip’s costs and funding in the education abroad portal.
What will I do during my study abroad semester?
The program is centered on living in Bonn, Germany. You’ll complete courses in design, planning and construction, as well as visit notable sites throughout the region during your stay. Past trips to cultural sites have included Belgium and the Netherlands.
Who will I stay with?
You will be assigned a host family during your visit. The Academy of International Education in Bonn screens each family to find hosts who are excited to interact with their American guests.
What if I don’t speak German?
Class instruction will be delivered in English. Many of the people you encounter during your travels will also speak English. The occasional language barrier will encourage your immersion into the Germanic culture.