Semester Study Abroad in Italy
Our faculty-led semester program allows students to experience the life, culture, and industry of Italy. Located in the beautiful Tuscany region, the program offers courses to architecture students.
The program is available during the fall semester and the spring semester for architecture students. More details are available in the Education Abroad Portal.
About the Program
The town of Castiglion Fiorentino provides the perfect central location for you to interact with Italian culture and experience one of the richest architectural settings in the world. Our program offers courses in design, design communication, and philosophy. You’ll complete studio projects that address the context of Italian art, history, and civilization.
Areas of Emphasis
- Design innovation
- Cultural immersion
All students are required to take a total of 12-credit hours. Students should meet with their academic advisors to ensure they meet eligibility requirements and that the courses are degree applicable.
- CARC 301 — Field Studies in Design Innovation | 6 credits
- CARC 311 — Field Studies in Design Communication |3 credits
- CARC 331 — Field Studies in Design Philosophy | 3 credits
- CARC 485 — Directed Studies | 1–6 credits
- CARC 604 — Advanced Field Studies in Design Innovation | 6 credits, graduate students only
- CARC 685 — Directed Studies | 1–6 credits, graduate students only
View the Texas A&M course catalogue for information about each course.
FAQ about Semester Study Abroad
What are the eligibility requirements?
The program is available during the spring semester for environmental design students. More details are available in the Education Abroad Portal.
- 2.5 cumulative GPA at time of application and until program start
- Good standing with Texas A&M University
- Students must attend all pre-departure classes and/or meetings
- Must be accepted to upper-division coursework
- Must have completed CARC 481, or be in the process of doing so
How do I enroll in a study abroad semester?
Start your study abroad journey in the education abroad portal.
Does this satisfy the School of Architecture’s semester away requirement?
How long is the program?
The study abroad program in Italy spans a full semester.
Will this delay my degree plan?
No. The program allows you to complete the same coursework offered at the Texas A&M campus. Many of our students actually graduate a semester early by taking advantage of the study abroad program.
How much does it cost?
Learn about the trips’ costs and funding in the education abroad portal.
What will I do during my study abroad semester?
The program is centered on living in Castiglion Fiorentino, a town located in Italy’s beautiful Tuscany region. You’ll complete courses in design, design communication and philosophy, as well as visit notable sites throughout the region during your stay. Castiglion Fiorentino is accessible to the rest of Italy by train. Past trips to notable sites have included Arezzo, Florence, Assisi, Rome and Venice.