About the Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning
The Department of Landscape Architecture & Urban Planning (LAUP) at Texas A&M is the only department of its kind in the nation. We offer an unmatched set of degree programs in three distinct but related disciplines that plan, design and develop places.
- Urban planning: working with community residents to envision their future
- Landscape architecture: designing beautiful and functional places that achieve established goals
- Land & property development: laying the groundwork for a new urban place
LAUP is housed in the Langford Architecture Center at Texas A&M University. Located in College Station, Texas, we benefit from a close-knit community atmosphere while having easy access to four of the 20 largest cities in the United States — Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio and Austin.
In the Classroom
We’re committed to engaged, interdisciplinary teaching and learning. We draw from all disciplines in the department to undergo research and practice at different spatial scales. The department’s faculty, staff and administrators are dedicated to supporting our students in and out of the classroom.
Our unique combination of disciplines allows for high-impact, interdisciplinary research. Our faculty focus on how to enhance functional, healthy, sustainable and resilient human environments.
Service & Engagement
Many of our programs integrate real-world experience into the curriculum. We partner with Texas Target Communities and other communities to complete projects that have a real impact.
The Aggie Difference
Each year, we engage with the Aggie network and professional connections to introduce students to potential employers. Our Career Fair and Aggie Workshop provides networking opportunities for potential employees and employers.
Each academic year, our department awards about 100 scholarships worth over $140,000. Donors who partner with the Texas A&M Foundation make these scholarships possible.
Preparing Students for Tomorrow
Our graduates are prepared for professional careers and active engagement in the Aggie network.
Our professional programs are accredited to guarantee that our programs meet national standards. Each accrediting body requires we publish information regarding program performance.
- Bachelor of Landscape Architecture program performance
- Master of Landscape Architecture program performance
- Master of Urban Planning program performance
Professional Advisory Boards
Involvement from our professional advisory boards ensures we are preparing our students for careers after graduation.
- Landscape Architecture Professional Advisory Board (PAB)
- MLPD Developmental Industry Advisory Council (DIAC)
- Urban Planning Professional Advisory Council (PLANPAC)