Design & Construction of Health and Healthcare Facilities in the Context of a Continuum of Care
Fridays 12:00 p.m. | January 22 – April 23 | ZOOM
This lecture series was made possible by the generous support of former students Ronald L. Skaggs, Joseph G. Sprague, and Craige Beale. This weekly lecture series focuses on the context of continuum of healthcare. Thought leaders and practitioners including health consumers, physicians, public health professionals, nurses, healthcare administrators, architects, engineers, landscape architects, building contractors and maintenance personnel will present a range of topics related to innovative new trends in health and hospital facility design.
Students attending the lectures can earn 1 credit hour by enrolling in ENDS 481, Section 500 for undergraduates or ARCH 681, Section 601 for graduates. All lectures are required with one-page lecture summaries turned in for credit. For more information, contact Cynthia Lockledge at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All lectures are open to the public.
Patrons, Donors, and Sponsors
Ronald L. Skaggs, FAIA, FACHA, FHFI, LEED AP, Chairman Emeritus, HKS Inc., Adjunct Professor of Architecture, Texas A&M University. Donor of the Ronald L. and Sondra Skaggs Endowed Professor in Health Facilities Design and the Skaggs-Sprague Endowed Chair in Health Facilities Design.
Joseph G. Sprague, FAIA, FACHA, FHFI, Principal and Senior Vice President (Ret), HKS Inc., President Facilities Guidelines Institute; Past President of the ACHA-American College of Healthcare Architects. Donor of the Skaggs-Sprague Endowed Chair in Health Facilities Design.
Craig Beale, FAIA, FACHA, FACHE, LEED AP, is a principal (Ret) at Knox Advisors and donor of the Craig & Julie Beale Endowed Professor of Health Facilities Design and SHEA, the Student Health Environments Association. He is also an outstanding alumnus of the College of Architecture.
- Texas A&M University Health Science Center
- Texas A&M University College of Medicine
- Texas A&M University School of Public Health
- Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
- Texas A&M University College of Architecture
- Texas A&M University Center for Health Systems and Design (CHSD)
- Health Industry Advisory Council (HIAC)
- International Union of Architects Public Health Group (UIA/PHG)
CENTER FOR HEALTH SYSTEMS AND DESIGN FACULTY
- Harold Adams, Director of Strategic Planning & Global Outreach, Professor of the Practice, Texas A&M University
- William (Bill) Eide, AIA, Visiting Research Scholar
- Chanam Lee, Professor and Coordinator of PhD Program in Urban and Regional Sciences, Department of Landscape Architecture & Urban Planning, Center for Health Systems and Design, Texas A&M University
- Rodney Hill, Professor, College of Architecture, Texas A&M University
- Xuemei Zhu, Associate Professor, College of Architecture, Texas A&M University
- Regina Beard, RN, MSN, EdD, Executive Director REACH Health & Wellness Clinic, TAMU Retired
“ARCHITECTURE FOR HEALTH” PRACTICE BASED RESEARCH & DESIGN STUDIO
One of the purposes of the lecture series is to multiply learning for the students by inviting thought leaders to discuss various significant topics related to innovations in Health Facility Planning & Design. Therefore the lecture series feeds new information into the “Architecture for Health” Practice Based Research & Design Studio, where students can apply new knowledge into their research and design projects. Involvement of advisory teaching firms to collaborate and involve themselves in various projects is a tremendous benefit both for the students, faculty, and the advisory teaching firm.
This semester we are collaborating with HKS to undertake research and design of “TeleXX – Virtual Care Hub”, A place for healthcare providers and healthcare systems to deliver multi-disciplinary telehealth or telemedicine services.
Liaisons / Special Advisors
- Deborah Wingler, PhD, EDAC; Vice President, Health Research Lead, HKS Inc., Dallas, Texas; Adjunct Faculty, School of Architecture, Clemson University
- Sarah Campbell Holton, RN, BSN, MBA; Strategic and Operations Healthcare Planner, HKS Inc., Miami, Florida
- Rebecca Baron, NCIDQ, LEED AP; Vice President, Senior Healthcare Advisor, HKS Inc., Dallas, Texas
- Jeffery Stouffer, FAIA, ACHA; Principal and Executive Vice President, Global Director, HKS Inc., Dallas, Texas
- Jason Schroer, AIA, ACHA, LEED AP; Director of Health, Principal, HKS Inc., Dallas, Texas
- Brian Briscoe, AIA, ACHA, EDAC, LEED AP; BD+C, Vice President, HKS Inc., Dallas, Texas
Student Healthcare Environments Association (SHEA) Officers
- Luis Garibay, President
- Jessica Martinez, Treasurer
- Heather Lorenzo, Director of Communications
- Kinjal Shah, Director of Marketing
- Neha Rampuria, Graphic Design Team
- Joseph Ali, Graphic Design Team
- Danielle Wilder, Director of Events
The Center for Health System & Design’s Health Industry Advisory Council (HIAC)
- Ballinger, Philadelphia, Pa.
- CallisonRTKL, Dallas, Texas
- ESA -Earl Swensson & Associates, Inc., Nashville, Tennessee
- EYP Health, Houston, Texas
- FKP | CannonDesign, Houston, Texas
- Gresham Smith, Nashville, Tennessee
- HDR – Architecture, Dallas, Texas
- HKS, Inc., Dallas, Texas
- HOK, Houston, Texas
- The INNOVA Group, Austin, Texas
- Jacobs, Dallas, Texas
- Marmon Mok Architecture, San Antonio, Texas
- Texas Modular Services Company, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Page, Dallas, Texas
- Shepley Bulfinch, Houston, Texas
- Stantec, Houston, Texas
- ZGF, Portland, Oregon
- Yonglin Healthcare Foundation, Taipei, Taiwan
- AO Hua Medical Industry, Hong Kong, China
- Shenzhen General Institute of Architecture & Design Research, China
- Kajima Corporation, Tokyo, Japan