Pat Y. Spillman '49 (ARCH) came to Texas A&M in 1945 to study architecture after serving as a U.S. Air Force captain in World War II. After earning a bachelor's degree at A&M he went on to earn a Master of Architecture at Harvard University in 1951, and then studied city planning at Yale University in 1952. The following year, as a Fulbright Scholar, Spillman went to Italy to study architecture and city planning. Upon returning in 1953, he took a job with Harry Weese Architect in Chicago, Ill., and then in 1959, he hung a shingle in Dallas, Texas as Pat Y. Spillman Architect. That firm would later become Fisher and Spillman Architects, and even later, F&S Partners Architects, one of the premier architecture firms in Dallas and home to many of Texas' most noteworthy architectural professionals. In 1960 he was named an American Institute of Architecture Fellow. He has received the Texas Society of Architect's Pitt's Award for exemplary performance as an architect and dedication to the profession. He also served with distinction on the AIA national board of directors. He has served twice as president of the Dallas AIA, as vice president of the TSA, as chairman of the AIA Trust, and as chairman of the AIA Jury of Fellows.