Dr. Frederick E. Giesecke 1886 (MENG) established Texas' first formal program in architectural education at Texas A&M in 1905. A former captain in the A&M Corp of Cadets, Giesecke joined the A&M faculty after graduating in 1886 with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, and within two years he was appointed head of A&M's Department of Mechanical Drawing. He completed a Mechanical Enginering degree at A&M in 1890 and earned a S. B. degree in architecture from MIT in 1904. Giesecke served as head of the A&M architecture program until 1912, when he accepted a job at the University of Texas conducting research as the head of the Division of Engineering's Bureau of Economic Geology and Technology. In 1927, three years after completing a Ph. D. from the University of Illinois, Giesecke returned to Texas A&M as head of the Department of Architecture and college architect, and was named head of the Texas Engineering Experiment Station within a year. Through 1939, Giesecke was involved in the designing and supervising the construction of many campus buildings still standing today. In 1943, at the age of 74, Giesecke earned his fifth degree in Civil Engineering from Illinois University. Throughout his career, Giesecke wrote numerous books and over 100 scholarly papers and received many honors for his accomplishments. In 1942, he received the F. Paul Anderson Gold Medal for outstanding contribution to the science of heating and ventilating.
Giesecke's life was characterized by his desire to learn by study, experimentation and observation. His daily notebook contained an entry from an experiment he was conducting just two hours before he died of a heart attack on June 27, 1953.