Skip to main content

Transferring to the College of Architecture

Application Information

Is there a separate application for each major in the College of Architecture?

No, there is not a separate application for any of the majors. You need only apply through Apply Texas or the Coalition, and declare one of our majors. You will be given the option to select first and second choices. Please meet with our recruiter if you do not know what is the best second choice for your major.

Do you accept second-choice majors?

Yes, we do!

How many students do you accept each year?

Most of our programs, except for Construction Science, are enrollment managed. Our majors' entering class size varies depending on how many students we currently have taking that major.

Do you require a portfolio to apply?

Only students who are interested in applying to Visualization will need to submit an online portfolio. The link may be attached in the essay portion of the application. Physical portfolios will not be accepted.

Do you only admit in the fall?

We consider applicants year-round, (i.e. fall, spring, and summer). You will want to meet with an academic advisor for the program(s) you are interested in to discuss when it would be best to apply and if you are meeting the requirements.

Is it okay if I contact an advisor in my intended major before I register at my current institution?

Yes, it is actually preferred you talk with the academic advisor of your intended major to confirm you have the appropriate prerequisite classes completed before transferring.

Are there specific courses I must have completed before being accepted into my major?

Yes. You may find out which courses you need to take with our Transfer Course Sheets. If you are not sure if your class transfers over, you can use the Transfer Course Equivalency website to check which of your classes transfer and what they count for.

Do you recommend I visit?

The College of Architecture currently is not hosting any in-person tours. You may sign up for a virtual presentation on our Meet With Us page. We have both group presentations and individual appointments available. If you would like to make a campus, housing, or admissions visit, please go to the Visitor Center website.

Financial Aid

Does the College of Architecture offer scholarships?

Applicants should follow the instructions regarding scholarship consideration on the ApplyTexas or The Coalition forms as well as complete the required essay(s). To apply for federal, state, and institutional financial aid, applicants will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may also find more information about these application processes through the Scholarships and Financial Aid websites.

Continuing students can apply for Continuing Student Scholarships through the University Scholarship Application on the scholarships website. Some other scholarships may be available from our departments, centers, and other organizations. See the College of Architecture Scholarship page for more information.

Once You’re at Texas A&M

Do transfer students have the opportunity to study abroad? Internships? Research?

Yes, transfer students have all of the same benefits and opportunities as non-transfer students once they are on-campus and taking courses at Texas A&M University. In fact, all of our majors require a semester away that can be either a study abroad trip or an approved internship. University Studies requires a 5-week study abroad program.

Are there dorms for transfer students?

Those types of questions/answers should be pursued through the Residence Life website. We do not require a specific dorm for students in the College of Architecture. However, we typically encourage our students to look at dorms on the south side of campus as they are closer to our buildings.

What kind of student involvement do transfer students qualify for? Student organizations?

Students in the College of Architecture have the unique opportunity to be involved in multiple “high impact learning experiences”. These experiences include study abroad, undergraduate research, internships, and service-learning.

Transfer students can learn more about their respective fields of study, network, serve the community and have fun by joining a student organization. We have a variety of local, national and international student organizations and honor societies. Organizations' aims range from serving students pursuing specific degrees plans to more interdisciplinary interaction.

How long will it take me to complete my major after I transfer?

The Environmental Design, Landscape Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning, and Visualization programs can take up to eight semesters (4 years) to complete after transferring because these programs require a studio sequence. There is no way to overlap to get ahead with studio courses as they are meant to be taken in sequential order. Departments may offer summer studio courses to accelerate a program.

Construction Science can take at least five semesters (2.5 years) to complete after transferring. Students must complete at least one semester of lower-level classes and then complete four semesters of upper-level classes.

University Studies can take anywhere from 2-4 years to complete depending on how many hours are transferred and how courses fit into your degree plan.

Will I receive career counseling?

Career counseling is available through many different avenues. Faculty, staff, and advisors are available to counsel students about potential career paths. There is also a Career Center on campus that offers a variety of career assessment tools available for free to students and former students.